Did a negligence-related accident leave you with painful injuries, bills to pay, and no way to support your loved ones? A lawyer from our firm can help you file a Montgomery personal injury claim or lawsuit for all of those losses and more.
Everyone deserves to have an advocate on their side when they have been injured due to the negligence of someone else. Since 1998, the Law Office of Dwayne L. Brown has been fighting diligently for clients who have sustained injuries that impacted their lives. Call us today for a free initial consultation, and we can explore your legal options.
How Do You File a Montgomery Personal Injury Case?
The process may differ slightly depending on what kind of case you intend to file. Our personal injury attorney in Montgomery can tell you more about any specific requirements connected to your situation. In general, you would have to:
- Start your case before the statute of limitations expires. In Alabama, this means filing a lawsuit within two years of the accident date, as codified in AL Code § 6-2-38.
- Collect enough evidence to support everything you are claiming in your legal action, including how the liable party was negligent and how your injuries have affected your life.
- Draft and send a demand letter that includes all relevant information about the accident, the resulting injuries, and what you expect the liable party to do to repay you for their mistake.
- Evaluate any settlement offers the insurer makes. If you and our attorney agree the offer is fair, we can draft a settlement agreement for you to sign, and your case is finished. If not, we can meet with the insurance company to negotiate a better settlement on your behalf.
- Be prepared to take your case to court if there is no clear path to recovering a pretrial settlement. While it is unlikely your case will get this far, we can tell you everything you need to know about trials and even represent you in court.
Challenges Your Montgomery Personal Injury Suit May Face
The process of seeking compensation may not be an easy one. You might have to contend with:
- An insurance company that doubts key aspects of your case or claims to have doubts as an excuse for offering you less than you deserve
- A liable party that denies responsibility for your accident or blames your injuries on you
- A liable party who is uninsured or underinsured and, therefore, does not have enough coverage to pay for all of your losses
- Legal statutes, regulations, and paperwork that are difficult for a layperson to understand, especially when they are distracted by a serious injury
- An insurance company that pressures you to act against your best interests by telling you not to hire a lawyer or that they will not offer another settlement if you reject their insufficient one
You will also be dealing with your medical recovery during this. The team at the Law Office of Dwayne L. Brown can help you navigate each and every challenge as it arises. We are always here to answer questions and offer encouragement to our clients.
What is Personal Injury?
Sometimes the actions of others, due to negligence or other reasons, can cause you to suffer an accident and multiple forms of bodily injury. However, you don’t have to suffer alone. As an experienced personal injury lawyer, Dwayne L. Brown will fight alongside you for your rights in Montgomery. He will make sure your personal injury claim gets the attention it deserves. Personal injury claims can help recover financial and punitive damages, including:
- Medical care, therapy and medical equipment costs
- Lost income or wages
- Future medical costs
- Pain and suffering
Victims of negligence who suffer serious injuries or loss can find their lives completely changed. They may be facing extensive medical costs for their injuries and may not be able to work. Those who lose a spouse to a preventable accident could be facing a lifetime of providing for their family alone. It is important to have an experienced personal injury attorney like Dwayne L. Brown that can help victims explore their legal options to obtain the compensation they deserve.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
Not all accidents require a personal injury attorney. If you are in a car wreck and only have damage to your vehicle, in most cases, you can receive adequate compensation through the insurance companies involved. Many workplace injuries can be satisfactorily handled through workers’ compensation insurance. However, when you suffer from a serious injury, lose a loved one or have your income affected by a negligent accident, you should talk to Dwayne L. Brown.
In most personal injury cases, insurance companies and corporate lawyers are involved to protect the negligent party or parties. This can be intimidating when you do not have your own legal counsel. Dwayne L. Brown has decades of experience representing individuals that have been harmed by others, fighting to obtain the compensation they deserve. If you are facing extensive medical bills, lost income or other financial damages due to a negligent accident in Alabama, do not hesitate to call our office in Montgomery.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
Injury accidents caused by negligence create financial hardship for the victim and their families. Personal injury claims offer a legal option to recover monetary damages to ease the impact of the injury or loss. Dwayne L. Brown handles many types of personal injury claims, including:
- Auto and Vehicle Accident Injuries
- Catastrophic Injuries and Death
- Medical Malpractice Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
- Truck Accident Injuries
- Workers’ Comp Injury Claims
Personal injury cases can be complex. Some may involve more than one entity or insurance company. There are often time limits on filing for personal injury claims through the legal system, and there are regulations on who can file on behalf of injured family members. You need an attorney who understands the intricacies of these cases. Dwayne L. Brown has 20+ years of experience as a personal injury lawyer and will use his expertise to fight for your claim if he handles your case.
If you or a close family member has been injured due to the negligence of others in Alabama, contact the Law Office of Dwayne L. Brown in Montgomery. Free consultations are available to discuss your case, call today.
How Does Personalized Legal Representation Help You Obtain Results?
Whether you have been injured in a workplace accident or lost a loved one in a tragic large truck crash, you may be eligible to seek compensation for your injury or loss. While there may be many lawyers in the Montgomery area who will take your case, you do not want to be lost in a sea of clients at a giant law firm.
The Law Office of Dwayne L. Brown offers personalized attention to every single client, working closely with them to keep them involved and informed through the legal process. You can depend on us to:
- Handle all legal aspects of your case so you do not have to deal with any of it on your own
- Stick with you from the moment you hire us until the case is complete
- Provide free, no-obligation case evaluations to every single caller
- Charge you no attorneys’ fees unless and until you get compensation
- Make sure the insurance company and everyone else associated with the case respects your rights
How Much Is Your Montgomery Personal Injury Case Worth?
The amount you should seek in compensation depends on several factors, including:
- How much money you have lost
- How serious your physical and mental injuries are
- Whether you have already recovered from your injuries or expect to suffer more losses in the future
- What the evidence says and can prove about your losses
Common Damages for Montgomery Personal Injury Survivors
Everyone is affected by accidents in different ways, so we cannot tell you how much you could potentially recover without first investigating your case. However, there are some types of compensation that are commonly sought by injury survivors like you, such as:
Pain and Suffering
Both your physical and your psychological symptoms have had a negative effect on your life. You should not have had to suffer such a decline in your health, and you deserve compensation for it.
Reduced Quality of Life
Part of what makes life fun is being able to act independently and enjoy your favorite hobbies and activities. If your injuries prevent you from doing these things, we can include that fact in your settlement.
Past and Future Medical Expenses
You should be able to get all of the treatment you need without worrying about what you can afford or what your health insurance covers. Compensation from the liable party can help you do that.
Repair or Replacement of Damaged Property
This is especially relevant if you were involved in a traffic accident that damaged your vehicle. It can, however, be applied to the destruction or loss of use of any valuable possession.
Physical or Mental Disability
Whether temporary or permanent, a disability can prevent you from doing the things you need to do, cause pain, and affect both your physical and intellectual capacity.
Scar tissue can alter your appearance and, if it is serious enough, keep you from ever regaining full use of the injury site.
You might have to miss work for as little as a few hours or as much as several months while your wounds heal. Even a single hour of missed work can affect your finances and your standing with your employer. It is only fair that the liable party reimburse you.
Reduced Earning Capacity
What if your injuries prevent you from returning to your old job or ever working again? Attorney Dwayne L. Brown can calculate how much you likely would have earned without the injury and seek that amount in damages.
Calculating Your Montgomery Personal Injury Case’s Value
Our team can help you create a list of all the damages you deserve based on your losses. Then, we can determine how much your case is worth by:
- Reviewing relevant paperwork, such as bills and tax filings
- Speaking with people who know you and are familiar with how your injuries have affected your life
- Asking experts to examine your case and express the impact of your injuries in financial terms
- Using an appropriate legal formula to determine the monetary worth of your intangible losses, such as physical pain and emotional trauma
Are Wrongful Death Cases Different From Personal Injury Cases?
The distinction between the two is that wrongful death cases are filed as the result of a fatality. Otherwise, the process for seeking damages for catastrophic injuries and wrongful death closely resembles the process for seeking personal injury damages:
- You can hire an attorney from the Law Office of Dwayne L. Brown to assist you with your case.
- You may be able to recover a pretrial settlement, or you may have to take your case to court.
- You can seek compensation for all losses associated with the accident. In wrongful death cases, though, that might include loss of financial support and funeral expenses, as well as any applicable personal injury damages.
Please accept our condolences for your loss, and know that our entire team is here to help if you decide you want to hire us.
Who Is Responsible for Your Montgomery Personal Injury?
This is one of the first questions we will strive to answer once you hire us to manage your case. To receive fair compensation from the party or parties who hurt you, we first have to find enough evidence to prove that they were negligent and that their negligence had a profound impact on your life.
Below are some of the most common types of liable parties we face in personal injury cases.
Careless Individuals in Montgomery
The mistakes and negligence of individual citizens are very frequent causes of personal injury accidents. For example:
- Drivers who exceed the speed limit greatly increase their chances of causing auto and vehicle accident injuries.
- Property owners may choose to let their property fall into disrepair or fail to install appropriate safety measures, such as handrails on staircases.
- Doctors may misdiagnose a patient, provide ineffective or unnecessary treatment, or fail to act quickly enough.
If the person who hit you was on the clock at the time, their employer could be partly to blame for your accident. This might be the case if a trucking company pushed their drivers to take an unsafe action that resulted in truck accident injuries or if a hospital’s standard operating procedures allowed medical malpractice to occur.
In cases like this, you may choose to focus your lawsuit on the employer alone, or you may sue both the employer and the employee.
Manufacturers Who Serve Montgomery
When you buy a product like a motor vehicle, a tool, or a piece of furniture, you expect it to work correctly and to be safe. In other words, you bought the item in good faith, relying on the manufacturer to sell a reliable product.
Unfortunately, manufacturers sometimes cut corners and end up putting customers in danger. How does that affect your case? You might end up suing a manufacturer rather than an individual if:
- The driver who hit you only lost control of their vehicle due to a faulty car part that they could not have known about.
- A property owner acted quickly to repair a hazard on their property, not realizing the materials they used were defective.
- Your workplace injury occurred because a tool, material, or piece of equipment failed to work as it should despite the fact that you used it properly.
Montgomery Government Agencies
In some cases, we find that the local government bears responsibility for an injury. Perhaps a government vehicle hit your car, or a government agency failed to repair the roadway.
The challenges associated with filing a suit also depend in part on what kind of liable party you face. Whether you were injured by a single person or a large organization, Attorney Dwayne L. Brown can fight by your side to hold them accountable for their actions.
Why Trust the Law Office of Dwayne L. Brown With Your Personal Injury Case?
Not all personal injury law attorneys have the same values and integrity. What makes the Law Office of Dwayne L. Brown different is the level of personalized attention given to every client. Our law firm focuses on:
- Taking a smaller number of cases
- Using our resources to obtain the best possible result by working aggressively for our clients
- Keeping you updated as our personal injury lawyer in Montgomery works on your case
- Providing you with all of the information you need to make informed legal decisions
- Being available to each of our clients when they want answers or advice
As our case results show, we have obtained millions of dollars in compensation for clients who have been needlessly injured, helping them move on with their lives. Now, we can work with you to file and fight your case.
How Do You Start a Personal Injury Case in Montgomery?
If you are seeking a law firm to represent you in a personal injury case or need other legal assistance in Montgomery, contact the Law Office of Dwayne L. Brown today. Your first consultation is free, so just call our office to schedule your appointment.
Get the personalized attention your personal injury case deserves.